- 12 ripe plums
- Peel from half a lemon
- Star anise (optional)
- Cinnamon quill
- Few sprigs of lemon thyme (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp sugar (brown or demerara preferably, but any will do)
- 50 ml water or your favourite liquer.
- As much of our delicious Madagascan Vanilla Bean Gelato as your heart desires
This recipe will take around 20 minutes.
- Cut plums in half, remove the stone.
- Pop plums into a small saucepan, add the spices and sugar, stir to combine.
- You may choose to add 50ml of water, or something stronger for more zest, like a fruit liquer or port of your choice.
- Carefully bring the fruit to a bubble over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the plums are soft and the liquid is syrupy.
- Drag your spoon across the bottom of the pot. If the compote separates for a moment, long enough to make a line, you know it’s ready.
- Allow yourself and the plum compote to cool, pop in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
- Serve over a scoop (or two) of our Madagascan Vanilla Bean Gelato
Remember to share your creation with us @ilgelato_ and use the hashtag #weloveilgelato